Military Veterans

Trinity & Bowthorpe is an ‘Armed Forces Veteran Friendly Accredited GP Practice’. If you are a veteran or are serving, please make sure that we have recorded this on your medical records. We ask all new patients who register if they are a veteran.

Armed Forces Serving Personnel and Veterans ID Card

All military veterans are entitled to priority access to NHS care (including hospital, primary or community care) for conditions associated to their time within the armed forces. However, this is always subject to clinical need and does not entitle you to jump the queue ahead of someone with a higher clinical need.

A veteran is defined as:

  • Anyone who has served for at least one day in the armed forces (regular or reserve)
  • Merchant navy seafarers and fishermen who have served in a vessel that was operated to facilitate military operations by the armed forces

An ID card for armed forces veterans is being issued to help access specialist support and services. These cards will allow veterans to maintain a tangible link to their career in the forces.

For more information, please see Veterans’ Gateway.

Personalised Care for Veterans

NHS England and NHS Improvement together with the Ministry of Defence have published new guidelines for the personalised care for veterans in England.

Please see the patient leaflet for more information.

Eligible individuals may have a personalised care plan for all their health and wellbeing needs, that is developed with them and a range of organisations including health, social care and military charities. To apply for this you would need to contact Norwich Clinical Commissioning Group.

Hearing Loss and Tinnitus Services

If you have acquired hearing loss and/or tinnitus relating to your time in service, additional support can be funded through download an application form.

Mobility Equipment Support

The Royal British Legion has a Veterans’ Mobility Fund which provides specialist wheelchairs, orthotic equipment and other mobility related items for veterans. This is for individuals that have a service related serious physical injury and whose needs cannot be met through statutory services. Eligibility requires the condition to be attributable to service and typically applicants will be in receipt of a war pension or relevant award under the armed forces compensation scheme.

Armed Forces Covenant

If the NHS service you are dealing with is unaware of priority treatment, you are actively encouraged to tell them about it and ensure you have told them that you have served. Failing that, you can enlist local health care commissioners, your local authority community covenant lead, or one of the national service organisations, such as the Royal British Legion, to support you.

For more information on the duty of care owed to service personnel, read the armed forces covenant.

Please see the available information leaflets:

Additional Information